.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Should I download bank security software? - Telegraph

Should I download bank security software? -

Should I download bank security software?

Is 'Trusteer Rapport' security software worth downloading to protect my online banking security?


I bank online and have been asked to download ‘Trusteer Rapport’ security software. How will it affect the operation and efficiency of my PC, and how beneficial is it? My wife and I take system security very seriously but is there any downside to using it? If I choose not to use it will this prejudice my position if fraud occurs on my account?

Bob Moore, by email

Trusteer Rapport first validates and then locks down your connection to the bank website. This helps prevent phishing attacks and blocks trojans, keyloggers and other nasties that can monitor your activity. There have been reports of it conflicting with some firewalls and security programs and a number of users claim it slows down their PCs, though this mostly seems to happen on older, lower-powered machines. Clearly another layer of security is no bad thing, so if it has no impact on the performance of your PCs give it a try. I’m not aware of any bank that insists on installing this type of software and given the wide range of devices now being used it would be very difficult to enforce but do check the terms and conditions and if you choose not to use it, follow all of the usual precautions to protect your online security.